Parenting and homeschooling children with special needs requires support. I can’t imagine doing this without help.
Many of you have asked the same question over the course of the last few weeks –
What happened to Not The Former Things?
I love that you noticed.
Over the course of the past year, I have been operating both Different By Design Learning (my business supporting families of children with behavioral challenges, learning differences and special needs) and Not The Former Things as mostly separate entities. All the while, I have continued in my real life, as a mom, homeschooling my own children with special needs.
While it may have made sense to me, it caused a ton of confusion for you – the person who matters most in all of this.
After asking for advice from some of my favorite online moms and businesswomen, I made the decision to combine both under Different By Design Learning.
The name is new, but honestly, nothing else is changing.
Helping You Mother and Homeschool Children with Special Needs
My commitment and passion remains the same as it was back in 2013 when I started this online community.
1. Keep it real and honest about what this life is really like – good, bad and everything in between.
2. Provide accurate information, tons of encouragement and true hope for struggling moms.
3. Honestly discuss educational options, especially homeschooling, for children with behavioral challenges, learning differences and special needs.
I discuss this a bit more and also share my personal history with the blog in this video.
New name. Same Me.
I’m glad you are here. It’s a gift to me and to my family to be able to support you in this way.
With so much love,
Different By Design Learning
Parenting and Homeschooling Children with Special Needs Is Difficult!
It’s OK To Ask For Help.
Information about Different By Design Learning and Working Directly with Shawna
How It Works
1. Complete brief online questionnaire about your child’s unique learning needs, strengths and differences.
2. Once your completed questionnaire is received, Shawna gets to work!
3. Answer any requests for more specific details via email directly with Shawna.
4. Receive your child’s individualized learning plan, via email, typically within 21 days.
(You do not necessarily need to be homeschooling your child with special needs to benefit from a strength based look at your child’s learning.)
Shawna offers in-person and online educational support to both learners and their parents. Her experience and education has prepared her well for working with children on the autism spectrum, children with attention issues, dyslexia and dysgraphia. She has been trained in the Orton-Gillingham Method and specializes in providing reading, writing and handwriting support.
In addition, parent sessions are also available. These support session are reality based and provide ideas and support for daily needs when parenting a child with behavioral challenges, learning differences and/or special needs.